Premium pages left without account:

Auction archive: Lot number 160Ω

The one-off, 1954 New York Auto Show 1953 Ferrari 250 Europa Coupé Coachwork by Vignale - Design by Giovanni Michelotti Chassis no. 0313 EU Engine no. 0331 EU

Quail Lodge Auction
16 Aug 2013
Estimate
US$0
Price realised:
US$2,805,000
Auction archive: Lot number 160Ω

The one-off, 1954 New York Auto Show 1953 Ferrari 250 Europa Coupé Coachwork by Vignale - Design by Giovanni Michelotti Chassis no. 0313 EU Engine no. 0331 EU

Quail Lodge Auction
16 Aug 2013
Estimate
US$0
Price realised:
US$2,805,000
Beschreibung:

2,963cc SOHC V-12 Engine 200bhp at 6,000rpm 4-speed Manual Transmission Independent Front Suspension, Live Rear Axle 4-Wheel Drum Brakes *Unique Coachbuilt Ferrari *One-off Michelotti design for Vignale *Exacting restoration with extreme attention to detail *Ferrari Classiche Certified *Award winner at 2012 Concorso Villa d'Este The Ferrari 250 Europa Ferrari firmly established itself as a 'volume' manufacturer with the 250 series, which would go on to encompass some of the most legendary cars in Ferrari history. It began slowly, with the model's introduction at the 1953 Paris Auto Salon, simultaneously with the 375 America. It was Ferrari's first real 'touring' road car and was the key to Enzo Ferrari's plan, encouraged by his North American importer Luigi Chinetti, to attract well-to-do customers to buy road cars to finance the company's core focus, racing. The 250 Europa was fitted with a 3-liter V-12 designed by Gioacchino Colombo and which was a development of the engine first seen in the 166, Ferrari's first car. It would continue through development to power Ferraris into the 1960s. Ferraris of the period were, as pre-war cars had been, chassis to be clothed by independent carrozzerie. Giovanni Michelotti penned some wondrous designs for Vignale in the early 1950s, none more so than those built to clothe Ferrari chassis. While Ferrari would become intimately linked with Pinin Farina (later 'Pininfarina') in years to come, when it comes to the early road going Berlinettas it is the style of Michelotti as realized by Vignale that defined much of what people saw as the non-racing side of Ferrari. These cars at their best are dramatic and flamboyant, most often seen in two-tone color schemes and full of fascinating and beautifully realized details in the arrangement of lights, vents and chrome trim. The Vignale bodies lent an air of sophistication to chassis which were still, even by the middle of the decade, really more suited for competition driving than journeys to the opera. Nevertheless, they did their job in drawing wealthy businessmen, playboys and entertainers, seducing them with dashing lines and the sound of that jewel of a V-12 engine, whose companions were heard in races around the world. There would be only 20 250 Europas built until the model was succeeded by the Aurelio Lampredi-engined 250 GT Europa in 1955. The Motorcar Offered Visitors to the 2nd World Motor Sports Show held in January 1954 were treated to the sight of an aggressive, diminutive yet elegant looking sports coupe along a wall- sandwiched between a low 'spider' and an open-wheel formula racing car. That very car was chassis 0313 EU, on offer here. Finished in a sophisticated two-tone color combination of Tobacco with Bruno Siena over beige leather, this coupe was sold to the US importer Luigi Chinetti, and shipped to New York that very month. When on display at the show it had been repainted red with black, perhaps to make it fit better with the competition cars beside it. It is presumed to have stayed with Chinetti for some time, as according to the very complete history of 0313 EU compiled by famed Ferrari historian Marcel Massini, the car was owned by Mike Garber of Framingham, Massachusetts by 1958 and in April of that year was sold to George H. Parker of Rome, New York by Gaston Andrey. It is next recorded to have been resident in San Diego, California in 1960 and reported to have been painted once more, this time in purple. Compounding this assault on aesthetics, the original Ferrari V-12 was temporarily removed and a supercharged Chevrolet engine installed. This was a not uncommon occurrence in the time, as owners sought to both add power inexpensively and eliminate the maintenance requirements of Italian V-12 engines. In addition the bumpers were removed, along with the rear bright trim and the nose repaired after slight damage. In 1967 the Ferrari was sold to Leonard Renick, Manager of the Fullerton, California dealership Phil Renick

Auction archive: Lot number 160Ω
Auction:
Datum:
16 Aug 2013
Auction house:
Bonhams London
Carmel, Quail Lodge Quail Lodge's West Field 7000 Valley Greens Drive (at Rancho San Carlos Rd) Carmel CA 93923 Tel: +1 415 391 4000 Fax : +1 415 391 4040 [email protected]
Beschreibung:

2,963cc SOHC V-12 Engine 200bhp at 6,000rpm 4-speed Manual Transmission Independent Front Suspension, Live Rear Axle 4-Wheel Drum Brakes *Unique Coachbuilt Ferrari *One-off Michelotti design for Vignale *Exacting restoration with extreme attention to detail *Ferrari Classiche Certified *Award winner at 2012 Concorso Villa d'Este The Ferrari 250 Europa Ferrari firmly established itself as a 'volume' manufacturer with the 250 series, which would go on to encompass some of the most legendary cars in Ferrari history. It began slowly, with the model's introduction at the 1953 Paris Auto Salon, simultaneously with the 375 America. It was Ferrari's first real 'touring' road car and was the key to Enzo Ferrari's plan, encouraged by his North American importer Luigi Chinetti, to attract well-to-do customers to buy road cars to finance the company's core focus, racing. The 250 Europa was fitted with a 3-liter V-12 designed by Gioacchino Colombo and which was a development of the engine first seen in the 166, Ferrari's first car. It would continue through development to power Ferraris into the 1960s. Ferraris of the period were, as pre-war cars had been, chassis to be clothed by independent carrozzerie. Giovanni Michelotti penned some wondrous designs for Vignale in the early 1950s, none more so than those built to clothe Ferrari chassis. While Ferrari would become intimately linked with Pinin Farina (later 'Pininfarina') in years to come, when it comes to the early road going Berlinettas it is the style of Michelotti as realized by Vignale that defined much of what people saw as the non-racing side of Ferrari. These cars at their best are dramatic and flamboyant, most often seen in two-tone color schemes and full of fascinating and beautifully realized details in the arrangement of lights, vents and chrome trim. The Vignale bodies lent an air of sophistication to chassis which were still, even by the middle of the decade, really more suited for competition driving than journeys to the opera. Nevertheless, they did their job in drawing wealthy businessmen, playboys and entertainers, seducing them with dashing lines and the sound of that jewel of a V-12 engine, whose companions were heard in races around the world. There would be only 20 250 Europas built until the model was succeeded by the Aurelio Lampredi-engined 250 GT Europa in 1955. The Motorcar Offered Visitors to the 2nd World Motor Sports Show held in January 1954 were treated to the sight of an aggressive, diminutive yet elegant looking sports coupe along a wall- sandwiched between a low 'spider' and an open-wheel formula racing car. That very car was chassis 0313 EU, on offer here. Finished in a sophisticated two-tone color combination of Tobacco with Bruno Siena over beige leather, this coupe was sold to the US importer Luigi Chinetti, and shipped to New York that very month. When on display at the show it had been repainted red with black, perhaps to make it fit better with the competition cars beside it. It is presumed to have stayed with Chinetti for some time, as according to the very complete history of 0313 EU compiled by famed Ferrari historian Marcel Massini, the car was owned by Mike Garber of Framingham, Massachusetts by 1958 and in April of that year was sold to George H. Parker of Rome, New York by Gaston Andrey. It is next recorded to have been resident in San Diego, California in 1960 and reported to have been painted once more, this time in purple. Compounding this assault on aesthetics, the original Ferrari V-12 was temporarily removed and a supercharged Chevrolet engine installed. This was a not uncommon occurrence in the time, as owners sought to both add power inexpensively and eliminate the maintenance requirements of Italian V-12 engines. In addition the bumpers were removed, along with the rear bright trim and the nose repaired after slight damage. In 1967 the Ferrari was sold to Leonard Renick, Manager of the Fullerton, California dealership Phil Renick

Auction archive: Lot number 160Ω
Auction:
Datum:
16 Aug 2013
Auction house:
Bonhams London
Carmel, Quail Lodge Quail Lodge's West Field 7000 Valley Greens Drive (at Rancho San Carlos Rd) Carmel CA 93923 Tel: +1 415 391 4000 Fax : +1 415 391 4040 [email protected]
Try LotSearch

Try LotSearch and its premium features for 7 days - without any costs!

  • Search lots and bid
  • Price database and artist analysis
  • Alerts for your searches
Create an alert now!

Be notified automatically about new items in upcoming auctions.

Create an alert